Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Observed the nature

Riverside City College (RCC) campus map http://rcc.edu/about/parking/Pages/Campus-Map.aspx

I was assigned to observe the nature of about 20 minutes. It was difficult to observe the nature within an urban environment. However, I managed to find a quiet place near the Administration Building and the Quadrangle (Quad.) at Riverside City College (RCC). It was a semi-quiet environment in Riverside. During the 20 minutes period, I managed to observe some wildlife and some artificial noises. I saw and heard some birds singing and flying around the campus (the consumers) such as pigeon, hummingbird, crow, a few woodpecker, and a seagull fly by. I also saw a squirrel climbing down and up the tree to search for food. I have noticed there are a few type of trees planted on campus, which are the producers in an ecosystem such as palm and pine trees, Magnolia, and some flower tree. There are also a few brushes near the Administration and the Quad. I have also noticed there are a few human beings (college students) at time, and there are a lot of road noises from the Magnolia Ave. It is hard to focus when a vehicle with a loud exhaust passes by. Other than that issue, I also heard tree leaves rustling by the strong gust of wind, and there is some train sound their horn echoing from a distance. Overall, RCC located at a quiet neighborhood, and I observed most wildlife in this area lives in a community ecology. I was surprised that almost all animal I observed can adopt to this unique ecosystem. I make me think an ecosystem will be keep evolving which is a strong adaptation in this harsh environment.

2 comments:

  1. Gary I also observed birds and heard bird noises during my observation. I did not know what were the birds I observed, so I had to research. I see you observed a different kind of bird species. I liked your blog and I liked how you named the consumers and producers.I think I should of added that on mine. Overall, good job Gary!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I never thought about wildlife at RCC. It's something I will have to look for now. Great observation area by the way!

    ReplyDelete